What to Do When Moving House to the UK?
Moving house doesn’t need to be a stressful process. You just need to prepare in advance so that you can get settled into your new home as soon as possible.
Two months before the move-out date, there will be some admin tasks that you need to do such as informing your landlord of your decision.
You should also investigate your new location. This is the best time to search the area for restaurants, supermarkets, malls and other establishments.
You can also start de-cluttering your home at this point. Ask your family members, friends and colleagues if they have packing boxes that they are no longer using. That way, you can save money on the boxes. One month before the move-out date, start packing your stuff.
You should also start looking for a moving company and getting your admin tasks done. Use this time to notify your personal contacts, magazine subscriptions, internet and landline providers, society or club registrations, financial agencies and service providers of your new address.
One Week Before the Move-Out Date
It’s only a week before the move-out date, so you should start packing your stuff seriously now. Here are the things that you need to do a week before the move-out date.
- Confirm the location, date and time with the moving company.
- Pack up the stuff that you have not stored yet. Don’t forget to pack a box or bag that’s full of your toiletries, change of clothes, snacks, blankets and other essentials. That way, you don’t have to rummage your boxes on the first day in your new home. Label the boxes correctly so that you can find what you need easily.
- Disassemble furniture, dismantle shelves and remove fitted items that you’re bringing to your new home. You should also fix any scratches or scrapes in your old home.
- It’s a good idea to change the locks of your new home. You can either do it on your own or hire a locksmith to do the job for you.
- Contact the utility companies to notify them of your new address and moving date. You have to do this at least 48 hours before the move-out date.
What to Do on the Move-Out Day
It’s moving day! If you hired an international removals company, you don’t need to do anything because they will be the one to load your items into their van. Before you leave, do a final walk-through of your old home. Make sure that all doors and windows are locked. You should also take pictures of the rooms to serve as evidence for the property’s condition. After you have moved into the new home, return the key to your old home to the right party. Don’t forget to check the utilities in your home.
If the utilities are not working, call your service providers immediately. After ensuring that everything is working properly, you can either rest or start unpacking. If you have prepared an essentials box, you should unpack it first. Once you have unpacked your essentials, you can start setting up your fridge, TV and other appliances so that you can use them immediately.
Check out our previous blog post: What are the house prices in Bournemouth?