moving home

moving home

Who to Notify When Moving House

Aside from packing your stuff and hiring a professional house moving company, you also need to notify the right places and people regarding your move. You should do this as early as possible so that you won’t have any problems in your new location. So here’s a list of the places and people that you should notify when moving house.

Personal Contacts

Don’t forget to notify your family and friends of your new address. You can send a mass email that contains your new address to your personal contacts. Your employer should also know your new address. That way, your tax forms and pay stubs will be sent to your new place.

Post Office

Inform the post office about your change of address at least one week before the move-out date. Any mail delivered to your old house will be forwarded to the new location for twelve months. You can update your address online, so it won’t take up too much of your time.

Government Services

You should also notify the tax authorities of your new address. In most areas, the process can be done online. You just need to fill up an online form that states your new address. Other important government services that should be informed of your new address include your health card, employment insurance, driver’s license, pension plan and the DVLA.


Call your internet, phone and cable providers to tell them about your new address. You should also notify your electric and gas provider. Get this done immediately. Otherwise, you won’t have electricity when you move into your new home. You can ask them to disconnect your electric service at your old place at the end of the move-out day and then start the electric service the evening before the move-in day. The sewer utility company, garbage company and water department should be informed of your new address as well.

Financial Agencies

Don’t forget to notify your loan providers of your new address. You should also inform your credit card companies, banks, investment account holders, credit unions, credit reporting agencies and renters or home insurance agency. Some management companies or landlords will require a proof of transfer before the move-in date. You should also notify your health, car and dental insurance agencies.

Subscriptions, Organizations, Clubs and Online Shopping Sites

If you are signed up for subscription services or magazines, you should update your address by calling or sending an email to their customer service team. You should also notify any charities, clubs and organizations you are involved with. Create a list of online stores you often shop from and update your delivery address. If you fail to update your address immediately, you won’t get your parcel at your new home. So save yourself the trouble and time by changing your address immediately.

You should also notify your dentist, doctor and veterinarian of your new location so that they will know where to send your bills. If you are moving to a new place, they can give recommendations or referrals as well.  Updating your address is indeed time-consuming, but it’s better than tracking down lost items or missing payments.


See our previous blog post here: What to do when moving house

No comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.